Ginger Muffins (with carrots)

Feb 5, 2014

Sick and snowy in Brooklyn lately.  This means I have to bake with whatever ingredients I have at home because, lord knows, I am not stepping outside today with this week-old-cold.  This time: breakfast muffins with fresh ginger and carrots.  These muffins are GOOD, my friends.  Subtle, just sweet enough, and tender.  The fresh ginger with melted sugar is really the trick (thanks to Orangette for the tips)- it gives the muffins a tiny crystally crunch.  And I am just slightly patting my back because they have carrots AND apples in them (don't fret- they do not taste too healthy).  I will say that I can imagine they'd be pretty darn good with some cinnamon honey butter...don't mind if I do! Or maybe it should be ginger honey butter?!  For another day....



1/2 cup of fresh ginger WITH the skin on (minced in a food processor for best results, or by hand) -- I would've actually added a liiiittle bit more because I can't get enough of that gingery, almost buttery taste- and no, there's not even butter in these bad boyzzz

1 cup of grated carrots (2-3 carrots)
1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of lemon zest (depends on how zesty you want it- I used 1/2)
1 1/3 cup white pasty flour (or all purpose flour) (I like to use one cup of baking powder & 1/2 a cup of almond flour)
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
(makes 12 muffins)

Grate your carrots, apples and zest your lemon, and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Cut your ginger into large chunks, leaving its skin on (it keeps the ginger from falling apart in the food processor- and I did not taste any ginger skin in the muffin, FYI!); mince in food processor or by hand.
Using a small skillet on medium heat, heat 1/4 cup sugar with your minced ginger, until the sugar just melts- it should only take a minute or two; continuously stir.  Set aside to cool. 
In a small bowl, beat your eggs vegetable oil, and vanilla extract, just to blend them.
In a large bowl, mix your dry ingredients (including the rest of the sugar- 1/2 cup). 
Mix your lemon zest in with your ginger mix.
Fold the wet ingredients in with the dry- careful not to over mix- just enough so everything is blended.
Separate your batter into your cupcake tin and cook for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  I used cupcake liners, but if you don't, butter or oil the pan.




No Response to "Ginger Muffins (with carrots)"

Post a Comment

Wolfnights All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger