Camellia Crazy

Mar 27, 2015

I went a little camellia and magnolia crazy this winter. The magnolia is no surprise; but the camellia... I hadn't been in California at this time of year in a while, and forgot how insanely amazing these beauties are. The real winter rose. Camellia plants like to explode with blooms; in the winter, the bushes are covered in pink, or white, stripes, deep fuchsia/red. It's incredible. 






Since I haven't been working with flowers lately (working with my family's restaurant business during this quiet season), I have been enjoying daily twilight walks, during which I drool over the crazy Los Angeles plant life. Succulents are blooming like I've never before noticed; the rain followed by sudden heat has made the wisteria go bonkers....eucalyptus trees and their fuzzy bright blooms, passion vine. It's all too much, and I am scheming and planning the first garden I will plant in my adult life. Not working with flowers gives me space to think about why I like them so much (& long for them). For me, they are healing (slippery slope, here I aaaaaam). They're so real and unreal and they make me feel connected to the present and at the same time in tune with some magical otherness; I think they do it to us all, even if you're not aware of it. They mark the seasons and if you pay attention to them even just a little, their fragrances can add another dimension to your memories and periods in your life. In my dreams, I create an epic, large, wild garden where I host events that are all about living and experimenting and slow slow slow life. Where people come to play and relax; explore quiet nothing moments.

When I was in Boston this winter, I met one of the head gardeners of the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum, Taylor Johnston. She is so inspiring. Warm soul. After a degree in horticulture, some time working at flowers farms and botanical gardens, she got a Master's in Philosophy, and then, eventually, went back to working as a gardener. I love her perspective and thoughts on gardening, plants and flowers, and I wish I could really describe it here for you. Formalism and informalism, communicating the ethereal, the special and the extraordinary; perfectionism; sustainability vs. artful choices. What an inspiring visit.




3 comments:

  1. I am living vicariously through you! What hotel does your family have? I hope we get a chance to play sometime, somewhere with flowers and food…two of my greatest passions. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Our hotel is called Su Casa- it's in venice, on the boardwalk. I hope we do too! XOOOOO

      Delete
  2. You really can't do better than this party planner. Just be sure to book her before someone else does! I don't even know where to begin in describing how great this planner is. There were so many little things that she and her assistants did for us.

    ReplyDelete

Wolfnights All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger